Information Design/ Final Project

Leong Jia En 0348366
Bachelor of Creative Media Design (Minor)
Information Design
Final Project


Instructions


Personal Burnout Experience

Last semester, because all the modules I took were assignment-based, and my major was in Advertising and Brand Management while my minor was in Creative Media Design, I often had mountains of assignments to complete.

As I'm a productive person, I asked myself to complete as much homework as possible, even though the deadline was still long. But as the workload continued to mount, I began to feel overwhelmed and unable to keep up with the constant demands. As the stress continued, I started to skip or procrastinate on my work, even though I'd been sitting in front of the computer and had a bunch of work to get done. So my work piled up and I was left with a whole bunch of tasks. After some struggle, I caught up with the work rhythm and completed the pending tasks. But all of a sudden, I was working really hard and was stressed out for no reason. Even though I have a lot of time to do my work, and I always meet my deadlines ahead of schedule.


When I look back on those days, I started to change my lifestyle to get rid of this stress. I thought about how my daily life consisted of sitting in front of a screen for hours. It made me lazy and my mind is stuck in that cube world with no real interaction and no physical activity. Because I like playing badminton, I joined the badminton team created by CISA and we used to play once a week. Doing such physical activity makes me think less about work and feel less stressed. I also learned to relax, stop being a time-disciplined person and get everything done in one day. I will take short breaks after 2 hours of work and give myself some rewards after completing tasks. I'm glad I've now figured out a way to maintain a work-life balance.

Burnout Group Research in Miro

Fig 1.0 Group Research in Miro (14/1/2023)

Brainstorming

In the meeting, we split the script into different scenes and each person chose one highlighted part to write down the visual suggestion.

Fig 2.0 Script Breakdown and Visual Suggestion (26/1/2023)

We then discussed the moodboard to identify the different elements we would include in the animation, eg. Art style, color schemes, fonts used, format, and character design decisions. We did this before the digitalized process to have a clear vision and a consistent style.




Fig 3.0 Moodboard (4/2/2023)

Animatic

The animatic phase is a draft that contains a few sketches of each frame connected to the script. This allowed us to envision what the final animation would look like and if it would fit. We distributed the animatic tasks evenly and compiled them together at the end.

Fig 4.0 My part of sketches (Scenes 5a-5d) (1/2/2023)


Fig 5.0 My part of animatic (Scenes 5a-5d) (1/2/2023)

Fig 6.0 Full Version of Animatic (10/2/2023)


Illustrations

After receiving feedback from the animatic, we started drawing the asset in AI. To ensure a consistent style, Sarah was responsible for the character's appearance, while I helped design the character's body and clothing. We illustrated each assigned scene according to the art style and color palette discussed in Miro to ensure consistency.

Fig 7.0 AI Assets (scene 5a-5d) (15/2/2023)


Fig 8.0 Scene 5a-5d  (15/2/2023)


Animation

After illustrating, I started animating in AE. Our team members discussed how to animate the animation direction such as the title to maintain consistency. We voted in our Whatsapp group and then I created a template for title animation so all of us can directly apply it.

Fig 9.0 Poll (17/2/2023)

Fig 10.0 Progress in AE (17/2/2023)

Fig 11.0 Animated Scene 5a-5d (17/2/2023)

When everyone finished their respective animations, I compiled them all and added some transitions and made sure the audio and video animations matched. Below is our draft of animation.
Fig 12.0 Draft Compiled Version (23/2/2023)

Final Outcome

After receiving the feedback from Mr. Martin, our team members who need to improve the scene animation began to make modifications. After that, I compile all the scenes and below is our final version.

Fig 13.0 Final Version (27/2/2023)


Feedback 

Week 5
Nice animatic and the scene of the clock showing work increases and leisure, sports and relationship time decrease is creative.

Week 6
After completing Ai illustration, we can start doing animation and finalizing the animation direction. Show the first scene of animation on Sunday. Finish the draft on next Friday and at least complete 50-70% work.

Week 7
Overall good but there are a few minor parts to improve:

-The blanket does not need animation, it is recommended that the alarm clock rings. 

-Zoom in the scene of emotional, physical and mental stress.

-Introduce common signs one by one and can see all of them in the final frame.

-Make it more people keep on coming on earth.

-Wiggle hand when pricking the balloon.


Reflection

Experience

My learning experience with this module was very interesting. I had the most fun with project 1, it gave me the chance to make a recipe for the chestnut cake my grandma made for me when I was a kid, which is meaningful and really fun! Kinetic typography was the most difficult task for me, I struggled a lot to come up with a design that conveyed meaning but was visually appealing and easy to understand. This module also includes group work that was not available in previous creative media design modules, which increases my cooperation and communication skills when ensuring the team works well and delivers the project outcome. I'm grateful that I have experienced teams who can actively discuss ideas and give feedback on improvement. Due to time constraints, we might not participate in all roles and tasks, but we tried our best to complete the delegated tasks. I am also very grateful to my teammates for supporting and helping each other during this busy semester. Overall, I enjoyed being in a team to brainstorm ideas and produce meaningful and unique works which improved my aesthetic and enriched my creative concepts.

Observation

I observed that information design is not just about making things look pretty, but about creating designs that are easy to understand and convey information efficiently. I also became more aware of how design choices, such as typography and color can impact how people perceive and interpret information. I observed that a well-designed infographic or chart can help simplify complex data and make it more accessible to a wider audience. I also observed that both the planning and executing processes are important to producing great work. As a team, I have acquired a range of skills, such as knowing to do thorough research and planning before completing illustrations and animations to make the work as a whole more engaging. Visualizing scripts and making mood board to build art styles, fonts, colors, and formats helped us streamline the project process, and everyone would stick to the same art direction to be consistent. 


Findings

I found that information design is becoming increasingly important in our data-driven world. Information design is being used in a wide range of fields, including journalism, marketing, education, healthcare, and more. I found that design principles can have a significant impact on how people perceive and understand information. We should always pay attention to the design principles like hierarchy, harmony, and balance. I found that chunking has been applied to all information so that we can more easily understand and remember things like social media UI and phone numbers. Besides, theories like the Manuel Limas Manifesto and the LATCH principle both influenced the outcome of our project because we all had a better understanding of information design by the end. All of these principles are used to create infographics that are easy to understand yet visually appealing.

Comments