Digital Photography and Imaging/ Final Project

Leong Jia En 0348366
Bachelor of Creative Media Design (Minor)
Digital Photography and Imaging
Final Project 

Self Titled

Self-titled is an exploration project for the students to express their own individuality and reflect their personality into digital art self-expression. The main idea is to build up self-confidence and discover their interest. 

1. Write a biography about yourself

INTRO
I am Leong Jia En, an ordinary girl who was born and raised in Johor Bahru, Malaysia. I love baking, photography and listening to music. I dreamed of being a good designer and creating meaningful and unique pieces. I am an imaginative, responsible and hardworking girl.

PARAGRAPH 1
My passion is to use my love and ability to spread happiness and joy to the world through art and baking, and more importantly to please myself by doing what I love.

PARAGRAPH 2
My passion for creating meaningful pieces (whether designing, photography or baking)motivates me to achieve my dream. My dream is to be able to do what I love and be successful at it. I wish to live life to the fullest by doing something meaningful that adds value to my life. 

SUMMARY
In my work, I visualize myself as a girl full of enthusiasm, creating my own garden full of dreams and love, and spreading positivity and happiness to the world in a fantasy style.


2. Write a statement about your work

INTRO
I intend to revolve my designs around persistence in chasing our dream with effort and eventually it will bloom its own flowers.

PARAGRAPH 1
The design aims to spread enthusiasm and positivity in life. We all have things that we love and dreams to pursue. As long as we take care of them carefully, we can create a garden full of flowers and attract butterflies to come, which means that working hard will bring rewards. 

PARAGRAPH 2
Pursue what you love and embrace the things that make you happy and that can make you become a better person for the world and the people around you.

SUMMARY
If You Are in Full Bloom, Butterflies Will Come Naturally.


MOOD BOARD (3 Poster reference)




Sketches of Mock-up Poster

Idea #1

Idea #2

Idea #3


Digital Poster

Idea #1

Idea #2

Idea #3

Idea #3

Feedback

Mr. Martin approved my idea #3. He commented that the background was too dark and lacked contrast with my portrait. It might try a dark grey to 50% grey. It is better not to cut my face with bangs.

Refined Outcome

Based on the feedback given, I erased my bangs using the healing tool so the bangs don't get cut along with my face.


I also adjusted the background to 50% grey as suggested.



Photoshop Progress

(1) Digital Poster

For the background, I use Multiply and Differences blending modes as shown below, and adjusted the grey scale after receiving feedback.


I also used the object selection tool and pen tool to cut and mask my body and face. I drew a black shape to create the feeling that the face is cut open. To create a contrast between the clothes and the background, I also drew lines along the clothes and masked the lines with a galaxy photo.



(2) Animated Poster

I tried to use both After Effects and Photoshop to create my animated poster by adjusting the position, size, and opacity, and use the puppet tool to create the motion of the butterfly flying.

After Effects






Photoshop








Animated Self-Titled Trial 1

Animated Self-Titled Trial 2

Feedback

It is suggested to rearrange the sequence of the background elements, ie headline, and rectangle elements to the body copy.

Refined Animated Poster

Animated Self-Titled Trial 3


Final Outcome

Final Digital Self-Titled

Final Animated Self-Titled

Reflection
Week 10- Week 14
Through the final project, I found myself better and had a clearer direction on what I desired to pursue in my life. This project took a lot of thought process and creative ideas to express who I am. I'm happy to be able to convey my message across in the poster. Through animation exercises, I learned new things like Photoshop parallax animation and GIF. It is fun and I'm looking forward to apply it in my future work. Overall, this was a challenging but interesting project and I'm grateful for what I've learned in this module. 

Comments